Forum OpenACS CMS: Re: Top Ten (or Five?) Features you want in an OpenACS CMS

Collapse
Posted by tammy m on
Hi

I will just list some of the features that other CMS's I've been reading up on offer that sound useful...

Some sort of check-in/check-out for co-authoring of documents.

Document/page caching and writing to file-system (import/export).

Extensive search support; generate multiple search indices for different languages +/or content areas of site and content types. Search PDF, Word, Excel, etc format documents.
Search metadata so can add, edit, version and search to locate content based on content type, data types, categories, language, keywords, etc.

A lot of CMS's now integrate with CVS or some such and provide versioning and parallel development. I think it would not be trivial to work CVS into the current CR/CMS setup though.

Ability to do versioning of sections/areas of the site in CMS versus single content items only. e.g. compare, and rollback single components, site sections or whole sites.

There is a visual annotation component for managers. I don't know if workflow provides this already... to enable managers to provide comments and easily mark-up pages from a browser to provide feedback for authors.

GUI for template building.

GUI for workflow.

"XML object model for element level asset collaboration, reuse, management, versioning and search." Sounds neat! Might be so abstract as not to be of much practical use but thought I'd point it out. Seems to be a marketing plus anyway;)

Then there's LDAP (security) and WebDAV (desktop integration) support, etc.

Some sort of content aggregation and deployment like distribution and sychronization between mutiple servers (clustering, load balancing, whatever). This is more a server function.

Personally, I think extensive search support is kinda critical in a CMS. Probably checkin/checkout for co-authoring too.