Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: freebsd 5 -current, aolserver 3.4.2, pg 7.2.4, openacs 4.6.3 anyone?

Well, I had a sneaking suspicion this was a threading issue, because the threading on FreeBSD 5-CURRENT is in a flux right now, with 3 different pthread libraries to choose from:  the legacy libc_r, and two new kernel threading libs, libthr and libkse, which aren't mature yet.

FreeBSD-current now has a feature which allows ld-elf.so to "map" one library to another, so for example programs which are linked against libc_r can be remapped to libthr or libkse (since they all share the same abi), and the place to configure this is /etc/libmap.conf.  You could achieve a similar effect with symlinks, only this is a cleaner solution.

Originally I had libmap.conf set up like so:
libc_r.so        libthr.so
libc_r.so.5      libthr.so.1
(You can also set it to use per-program settings, read the man page for libmap.conf(5)).

I decided to try commenting out both lines in libmap.conf, so that it was not mapping at all but only using the libc_r library.  At that point, all my nsd troubles stopped.  I then decided to try mapping libc_r to libkse instead of libthr.  Everything continued to work.

That is how I came to discover this.  Is it working for you now?