Forum OpenACS Development: Re: group_types: why not referenced in groups

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

I guess what I was getting at overall is this:

• If the default join policy can be modified per group, then why do we need a whole separate table to hold this "convenience" information?
  • Adding a column to groups with the group_type->object_type reference would make it really easy to get groups of a given type. You don't need to do this, but it would save a join.
  • Maybe the join policy default could be inherited from the package instance under which the group is created. I noticed, with amazement that if you create groups via pl procedures they don't have a package_id associated with them, and they therefore don't show up in the subsite admin ui of any subsite, not even the one mounted on '/'. Othewise, a group with no associated package_id would have a default join policy of closed.
  • There should be some admin interface, somewhere that actually looks at what is in the database instead of qualifying the query with things like package_ids and permissions to view. (That is what the permission check on the package_id is supposed to take care of in one simple check.) Queries like the following on group-types/one:
        select my_view.group_name, my_view.group_id
        from (select DISTINCT g.group_name, g.group_id
               from acs_objects o, groups g,
                    application_group_element_map app_group, 
                    all_object_party_privilege_map perm
              where perm.object_id = g.group_id
                and perm.party_id = :user_id
                and perm.privilege = 'read'
                and g.group_id = o.object_id
                and o.object_type = :group_type
                and app_group.package_id = :package_id
                and app_group.element_id = g.group_id
              order by g.group_name, g.group_id) my_view 
        limit 26

Okay, that is a completely separate issue, sorry.

Question is: is any of this useful, or just a pain since things basically work anyway, and when would I get time to make changes that would probably affect vendor packages?