Forum OpenACS Q&A: Separate Subsite Login

Collapse
Posted by Steve Manning on
Hi

I'd like to implement a different login page for a subsite so I've trawled through the forums looking for references to subsite logins and found this post https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=52233 from Sept 2002 which covers my problem exactly and would seem to imply that its a much wanted feature but difficult to implement.

Can anyone tell me if any progress has been made since that thread? If not, and if it's not already there, I'd like to post it up in the bug-tracker (I'd like to fix it myself but its probably beyond my OACS knowledge at the moment and I'm still getting my head around the very nice Workflow API).

On a slightly separate note is it possible to automatically confine registrations in a subsite to the subsite only?

I currently do this by restricting access to each subsite to the users in 'subsite member' group and then manually adding the users to the 'subsite member' group after they register (but then I don't have many members).

TIA

Steve

Collapse
2: Re: Separate Subsite Login (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
I think lars pind has been working on this for 4.6.4 but am not 100% sure.

He's just leaving for holiday so you'll have to check the source code directly I'm afraid ...

Collapse
3: Re: Separate Subsite Login (response to 1)
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
One thing you can do to extend your current system is to hack the page that performs the registration to programatically put a user in the correct group based on what subsite they are in right now.

You could then also in the login verification page check that they are in the correct group.

That is all simple, but leaves you with a nasty special case whenever a member of one site tries to join another one. Maybe you could catch that scenario and present them with a page saying "you are already a member of xyz sites - would you like to extend your membership to include site abc".

It's a bit hackish, but just came off the top of my head fwiw.

Collapse
4: Re: Separate Subsite Login (response to 1)
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Is the subsite login different than what you get from the site node map? I did the following: mount a subsite at /vhost/host1, and then use the site node map to map example.com to /vhost/host1. When I go to http://example.com/register/ I get the header from the /vhost/host1/default-master.adp, which is set in the subsite parameter for the subsite. But the /register/ page says: "New Users: Welcome to mainsubsite.com..."

The result is you can login to example.com, getting a cookie for that domain, and you get redirected to the subsite /pvt/home page. But you get confusing text indicating you are logging in to the main subsite.

Collapse
5: Re: Separate Subsite Login (response to 1)
Posted by Steve Manning on
Thanks for the replys guys. Its not pressing so I'll drop Lars a line in a couple of weeks.

I will look at the membership of subsites when I'm done with the workflow. I'll also check back to see if its been covered as part of any reworking of the subsite registration page.

Tom, I hadn't gone as far as to map the subsite in the site node map but if there is only one registration page then the behaviour your seeing would be as a result of that.

I'll see what Lars has been upto and see if I can get some time to help out on this (all I need is some method of compressing 28 hours into 24 - bit like a chronographic LZ encoding routine).

Steve