Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Notification of Calendar Events

Collapse
Posted by Raad Al-Rawi on
Thanks for the response people!

Ben - the result of having notifications on calendar events would effectively produce a RemindMe system, so yes, this is the sort of thing.

Jade - talking to Dirk already :)

Caroline - v. good point about the text!! Something I had not reaslised. I think this can be fixed though. I haven't looked in depth at the cronjob package, but my thoughts are that notifications would (should) be a better choice for this particular functionality.

I thought the item types were simply for labelling events as "Meeting" or "Birthday" or whatever. It's a nice feature if implemented to a sufficient depth (whatever that is!).

Don & Dave - some other good points. My own thoughts were ...

to develop something relatively simple to begin with, then evaluate where to go next, taking into consideration the issues people have come up with.
Calendar apps are tricky beasts IMHO, not least to code, but also when considering required functionality, UI design and integration. Couple that with notifications, mix in what would be ideal (stuff like flexible notifications and calendaring contracts) and we have a good chunk of work.

As Dirk is working on improving the calendar (and doing a sterling job) - an important first step - I'm looking to have a go at coming up with a simple implementation of calendar event notification (simple in that it involves no data model changes and supports a limited set of options to begin with - say "notify me x mins before the event") just to kick off.
Unfortunately I am stuck for the time being with an older version of things (notifs v0.1d), but I am happy to share my solution with anyone who's interested (and willing to incorporate it into the latest version?). Any takers?

Raad