Forum OpenACS CMS: Re: 2nd meeting and UI group status

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Mark and Jun,

The site-node problem is easy.

Any CMS will have a seperate cr_folder tree. Give every site-node a cr_folder in this tree. This way you could add a page under forums for example, and it could be managed by the CMS. Eventually I want to be able to define ADPs through this CMS interface to override built in templates.

On tags for including content. See the original CMS. I am pretty sure it already includes this feature. It defines several of its own tags. Basically something like <image name="foo"> should work, if something is in the same folder, otherwise you would use an abosolute url <image name="/images/foo'>

Evenrually we will want a way to manage uploaded files, and this system could include a way to choose an image or binary file, and insert a link into the page content.

Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
Dave I don't follow 100%, so let me ask a few questions:

"Give every site-node a cr_folder in this tree." - You mean every site node in the whole openacs site, even ones not nominally under cms control? How would this be kept up to date?

"This way you could add a page under forums for example, and it could be managed by the CMS." - it seems to me that that would require modifying (and slowing) the openacs request processor, since it would have to check for valid cms pages everywhere - or at least as a default failover (actually not such a bad idea... but still a pretty radical change).

regarding Robert's idea about portals, rather than a UI, i think we just allow designers to do something like <include name="top-news" count-value="10">. This would include tcl/adp pairs from initially a folder in cms, but ultimately should be db based as well.