Forum OpenACS Q&A: Problem duplicating server setup

Collapse
Posted by Sean Redmond on

I'm trying to duplicate my setup to use as a development server. I've dumped the database and loaded it into a new database, copied all the files and made all the necessary changes (that I can find) to the startup configuration. The server will start up without any errors, but when you try to get a page from it:

[24/Jul/2003:10:57:56][5866.6151][-conn3-] Error: tclop: invalid return code from filter proc 'invalid command name "parameter::get"': must be filter_ok, filter_return, or filter_break

I found similar errors in the forums, but none of the solutions seemed to apply, especially since the original server works and only the copy is having trouble. Any ideas where to start looking?

Thanks. And on another note, searching openacs.org for "invalid command name" returns a few hits then a server error!

Collapse
Posted by Jesse Kipp on
A tcl procedure registered with ns_register_filter is bombing out because you are missing a tcl library or package that uses the namespace 'parameter'. Maybe the $AOLHOME/servers/servername/modules/tcl directory did not get copied, or maybe when you copied something the permissions on a file got changed so that aolserver doesn't have permission to read it.

You could try 'grep -r "namespace eval ::package" *' in your old server directories to try to figure out what is missing.

Collapse
Posted by Sean Redmond on

Maybe the $AOLHOME/servers/servername/modules/tcl directory did not get copied

Thanks. That was the clue I needed. The config file for the original server is in /usr/local/aolserver. In setting up the copy, I put the config file in /web/devel/etc, more in line with the current installation instructions, and that was causing the problem, because my config file (which has been around for a while) set $homedir like so:

set homedir [file dirname [ns_info config]]

So this caused it so look for /web/devel/etc/modules/tcl. Moving the config file to /usr/local/aolserver fixed it as did just setting $homedir to /usr/local/aolserver, like the current reference config