Forum OpenACS Q&A: oacs 4.7 release?

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
I am planing to set up an oacs 4.x site in the near future. The site will have two language options: English and German.

Is there any news on the 4.7 release? Will it have the internationalization enhancements? Would a current cvs checkout be stable?

Thanks

Collapse
2: Re: oacs 4.7 release? (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
We'll call this 5.0, not 4.7, because internationalization is such a large change.

We are looking at a September release.  Now that Collaboraid is home from holiday we should be able to get a better idea as to when 4.6.4 and 5.0 can be released, as they're the primary movers for both at the moment (I'm working steadily on 5.0, too, but the internationalization stuff is mostly Collaboraid's responsibility)

Current CVS is stable enough to investigate but I wouldn't deploy with it yet.

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
News flash!

We will not be doing a 4.6.4 release.

We're currently merging changes on the 4.6 branch (oacs-4-6) since the last merge (4-6-3-beta1) back onto HEAD.

Any new development, bug fixes, etc., should happen on HEAD from now on.

Heidelberg needs to launch late September, and we'll be accomodating the 5.0 release to their needs, so you can expect some form of release around that date.

More details on dates and release criteria in a separate thread, when we've had a chance to plan out the details.

/Lars

Collapse
4: Re: oacs 4.7 release? (response to 1)
Posted by Lars Pind on
"Heidelberg needs to launch late September, and we'll be accomodating the 5.0 release to their needs, so you can expect some form of release around that date."

Just to make this clear: We'll be accomodating the release *schedule* to coincide with Heidelberg's launch. This gives us a valuable opportunity to use Heidelberg for near-production beta testing purposes, as well as helping make the release come out sooner.

Also, the things that currently sit on the 4.6.4 branch are almost exclusively thihngs that I've committed since the 4.6.3 release, when everybody went off to Holiday or off to work on HEAD.

The decision we've made is that, since a 5.0 release is so near, we'll not put the work into a 4.6.4 release (a release cycle takes effort), but instead put it into making the 5.0.0 release of higher quality.

/Lars

Collapse
5: Re: oacs 4.7 release? (response to 1)
Posted by Brad Ford on
Just to clarify - if one wants to checkout the latest from cvs, should it be from openacs-4 branch? Or are there still a tip (more or less stable before) of the current release and a head section (for those risk-takers out there). I think the cvs instructions at https://openacs.org/4/checkout might be a bit dated.
Collapse
6: Re: oacs 4.7 release? (response to 5)
Posted by Lars Pind on
I've updated the instructions.

Bottom line is:

Stable: Use oacs-4-6-3-final.

Development: Use HEAD.

/Lars

Collapse
7: Re: oacs 4.7 release? (response to 1)
Posted by Lars Pind on
The merge from the oacs-4-6 branch onto HEAD has been completed.

Beware that there's no upgrade path from HEAD-before-the-merge to HEAD-after-the-merge.

We *will* support upgrades from the latest release, 4.6.3, to the upcoming release, 5.0.0.

No development should happen on the oacs-4-6 branch beyond this point. Instead, development should go on HEAD, and will be included in the 5.0.0 release.

/Lars

Collapse
8: Re: oacs 4.7 release? (response to 1)
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
Are we requiring AOLserver 4.0 for OpenACS 5.0?  Are we requiring Postgres 7.3.2 for OpenACS 5.0?  Are we intending to support both Oracle 8.1.7 and Oracle 9?  Which Oracle 9?  9.2?
Collapse
9: Re: oacs 4.7 release? (response to 8)
Posted by Lars Pind on
AOLserver 4 still isn't ready for production, so we're still on AOLserver 3.x.

I don't think the Oracle 9i fixes are going to make it in time, but Don's looking into that.

As for PG, I think we'll support both 7.3 and 7.2, as is custom (current and previous).

/Lars

Collapse
10: Re: oacs 4.7 release? (response to 1)
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
By late September you have very good odds of 7.4 being the current PG version.  Beta2 tarballs came out today.
Collapse
11: Re: oacs 4.7 release? (response to 8)
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
See our Compatibility Matrix (and please send me fixes).