Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Boot process hangs: tcpserver: status: 0/40

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
I think this may be due to a typo in the install instructions. When Red Hat runs rc.local as the last step of the boot process, it chokes on a bad line break.

To get past this on boot, interrupt the boot process (I think by pressing "c") when prompted, and go through the services manually. The problem service is "local" - be sure not to run that. Once you've booted fully, edit /etc/rc.local and take out the qmail lines.

You can fix the problem by finding the typo in rc.local or by running qmail with daemontools. This is the recommended approach and I've documented it in the new version of the Install Guide.

Collapse
Posted by Frank Mannix on
Joel,

Thanks for documenting how to set up qmail so that it is under the control of daemontools.  It's been working great.

Seems that each incremental release of the installation guide for the last year has lead to dramatic improvements in the guide's usefulness.

As for what caused the boot to hang... I don't know.  I wasn't able to break into the boot process in single user mode so I started from scratch.  Given the much improved installation guides, it doesn't take long to build a complete OpenACS system these days.

Frank