Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Admin abilities, handled on the same page, or on different pages?

Ola, I'm not the least bit offended, after all it is I that have insisted over and over again that 1) ad_form is just a wrapper and 2) you have to understand how the underlying form builder works to make effective use of ad_form for complex forms.

Jerry - one point not mentioned above is that self-submit forms make it easy to implement in-form error messages, much more user friendly than the old acs 3x paradigm of putting up a separate page that lists errors and suggests you hit the back button to fix them.

This is my major reason for preferring the self-submit paradigm for form handling.  As a developer I feel like it is my job to deal with more complex code or development if the result is significantly more user-friendly than an alternative approach, and I believe in-form error messages to be an example of this.

Right Don, that's part of what I meant when I obliquely stated that it's the UI the web seems to prefer these days.

It's also seems to be the code control structure that a lot of java servlet/beanie things seems to favor too and that's good too for marketing reasons, if nothing else.