Forum OpenACS Q&A: RFC: Using XoWiki as a course catalog

Hi,

we plan to use xowiki as part of an major integration project. .LRN will be intergrated with the central course management system. For this purpose we would like to use xowiki as the course catalog together with categories. Xowiki will be used for presentation purposes. The question is how to deal with relations. Shall we use categories or objects:

Organisational Unit --> Professor
Professor --> Course
Course --> Room

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I don't understand the question about objects or categories, could you please be more specific what attributes the objects would have an what kind of categories you want ?

Furthermore, I assume you will use xowiki::Forms?

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Malte, the attributes are not important. Those I can easily display with pagetemplate. form is not important as well since the course data is coming from an external system. Thus in xowiki I only display the data.

Important are the relationships:

An organisational unit has several professors.
A professor offers several courses.
A course can occupy several rooms.

Using xowiki if I display the course I want to autogenerate links to the corresponding organisational unit, professors and rooms.

Collapse
Since professors, rooms and organisational units usually dont change that often I could use categories for that but categories have no support for attributes. therefore objects would be more preferable (like a pageinstance).
Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
If you are sure you will not need the information about professors and courses somewhere in .LRN itself, then just go with FormPages and create one Form for each "object type".

So you would create courses, professors and organizational units as xowiki::Forms and for each course have an xowiki::FormPage. These pages you could then link up using xowiki relationships.

I don't think categories makes any sense here.

Collapse
What are xowiki relationships?