Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Packages and the GPL

Collapse
18: Re: Packages and the GPL (response to 1)
Posted by Talli Somekh on
The argument of "the GPL has not been tested in court" is a myth in the open source and free software world. It's not been tested because no one has been dumb enough to try it, at least in the US.

Copyleft is protected by the established laws of copyright as copyleft is nothing more than copyright flipped on itself ("i transfer my copyright to everyone with the only requirement that everyone transfer their copyright to everyone else when distributing."). Anyone trying to disprove the GPL in a court of law would have to effectively disprove copyright. That would effectively undermine their own argument.

Check out Eben Moglen's work for a more complete discussion.

I don't know about Germany. If, as Malte says, that GPL3 will address this, I hope we will move to that when it finally comes out.

talli

Collapse
19: Re: Packages and the GPL (response to 18)
Posted by Dirk Gomez on

Germany (and the rest of continental Europe) has the droit d'auteur. You cannot transfer your copyright here e.g. if you join a company and hack away some time, you own the copyright to the code you wrote. You just don't own the license.

The philosophy of the GPL seems to be at odds with the German law. Last time I talked to RMS I asked him about this and he told me that it's a non-issue. For the Germans: You may want to get this book Open Source Software von Till Jäger, Axel Metzger