Forum OpenACS Development: List of Package Maintainers

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
It looks like the bugtracker is not being kept up with as well as we would hope.

There are many outstanding bugs and patches that have not been addressed. I don't necessarily mean they should all be fixed, but at least acknowledged as a bug or not.

We have a concept of package maintainers, but I am not sure that there is a person directly responible for keeping up with the maintainence for every major package.

I think we need to make sure that at least the packages in the OpenACS core have someone actively maintaining them.

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Dave,

A few days ago I synchronized the list of bug-tracker maintainers and the package inventory (https://openacs.org/projects/openacs/4.7/package_inventory).

I think much of the problem that is igniting the governance discussion is because we have many packages that simply don't have maintainers.

I've been studying how other projects deal with this issue of maintainership and governance and have learned quite a few interesting things that I will be sharing in the governance threads.

For now I'd just like to extend a call for the community to pick up maintainership of packages. You have to have experience developing with OpenACS and you have to use or have an interesting in the developing the package you'd like to adopt.

Thanks,

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Frank N. on
A suggestion that was made earlier this year, which may help a bit with the slow page of accepting patches and bug fixes, was to have 'Patch Days' not unlike the very successful 'Bug Days' we used to have. If just a few of the OCT members showed up, it ought to go reasonably quickly to get permission to apply at least the trivial fixes, and have comments on suggestions for improvements.
Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Frank,
I think having such days can motivate people (myself included)...so I encourage that 😊