Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Talli the Provisional Bug Czar

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Wait, turns out I did take notes, and I even sent it by email to you back then. Just re-sent it.

Things may have changed since then, though.

Good luck! :)

In the future, it would be good if we could keep openacs.org much closer to a stock install, and get better at bringing enhancements from openacs.org back into the code base.

I'm starting to nurture an idea of having a fixed 3-month release cycle, so we'd have a new release every quarter, and then simply cut scope for each release in order to make the schedule a reality. That would make it much more feasible for everybody to keep in sync, because they would have to wait at most 3 months for a new feature to come out as part of an official release.

We'll try to gain some experiences during the 5.0.0 release cycle, then we should have a discussion and a TIP about the release process going forward. Just loose thoughts so far.

/Lars

Collapse
13: 3 month release cycle (response to 9)
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
An OpenACS point release every 3 months sounds very, very good to me. The exact best time period could be debated I suppose, e.g. every 4 months is probably just as good as 3, if those 3 or 4 or whatever month release targets are actually hit reliably.

Unfortunately, releasing anything isn't quite as simple as just cutting scope until the deadline is met, there's real work that needs to be done in order to make sure both that the code is ready for release, and that the grunt work of the release process itself gets done.

But I think it's a really, really good idea to try...