Forum OpenACS Development: ACS Developer Support pkg

Collapse
Posted by tammy m on
Hi

Can anyone explain to me how to use the ACS Developer Support utility to do User-switching?

I tried it... when the Change User pulldown appears at the bottom of my site pages, I choose a user and then I click the "go" button. But my page still says I am testing as Site Administrator and I am really Site Administrator. The user switch doesn't happen. Then seemingly randomly at some time later, after I have been moving around the site from page to page (forgotten about my user switch cuz I just assumed it didn't work), my user gets changed to the user I picked before!

Then I get locked out of admin pages because I'm not administrator anymore of course. But then I change back to Site Administrator from the bottom of some page and once again, it takes some time and some amount of traversing the site before the user switch actually happens.

I don't see any info on the User-switching functionality in the ACS Developer Support package docs. Am I missing something here and there is actually some other event that triggers the actual user switch after I press the "Go" button on the "Change user:" pulldown?

tia:)

Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
Your user switching should be instantaneous. Mine is. I don't know what the problem could be.
Collapse
Posted by Robert Locke on
Hi tammy!

This sounds very much like a caching issue.  Please see this thread for more info:

https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=27295

G'luck!

Collapse
Posted by tammy m on
Robert,

Thanks. That was very helpful reading. For now I'm testing by running 3 different browsers, logged in as 3 different users! Cheap and easy workaround;) Before we launch, I'll have to check out the 5.0 code to control page caching a bit better.