Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OT: Best home-office router?

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Jerry, hacking the Linksys WRT54G router like that is certainly interesting, thanks for pointing that out. But I don't want to do that. For that matter, I don't want to build own Linux router out of old PC parts either, although presumably I could. I just want a toaster-like box that works, preferably also with no fans to fry, no hard drives to crash and be corrupted, etc. etc.

Keep in mind that roughly the whole second half of my bullet list above are basically "nice to have if it's available, but I doubt that all this is available" features. Cool features like running scripts on the router would be nice. But reliability is much, much more important.

Usefully handling two broadband WAN connections would also be much more important. In particular, since I know there are products out there that do that, I'd like to find out more about how well they work. But if I don't, so far it sounds like my fallback plan is to buy a standard one-WAN-port Linksys, ditch the D-Link, and see if that works more reliably. Two WAN connections sounds awfully attractive, though... (Heck, if both cable modem and DSL are available at all, in most areas both together probably cost less than buying cable TV plus HBO and the other pay stations.)