Forum OpenACS Q&A: Detailed Election Proposal

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
The temporary OCT terms run until 25 Sep. Here is the result of today's IRC chat about how to conduct the election. This is a proposal, not the final deal. We will finalize this through forum comments and next week's IRC discussion (9 am PDT Wednesday).
  • Who can vote? The current OCT, committers, and anybody who posted in the forums at least twice between 25 May and 25 Aug 2003. We will have this list available on OpenACS.org as soon as possible, and will email all qualified voters.
  • Who can nominate OCT candidates? Any qualified voter may nominate up to three qualified voters, including themselves. Nominations do not require seconds. Open Issue: no organization can have more than one representative on the OCT. If so, how are they weeded out? At nomination, first-nom first-serv? Only the top vote-getter from an org, and other vote-getters are discarded?
  • How are nominations conducted? There will be a nomination forum, open for a week prior to the election.
  • What do the nominees do? Each nominee can write up to a paragraph (1024 bytes) of HTML for the ballot. Nominees will also be providen an Edit-This-Page space on openacs.org.
  • How do I vote? We will eventually have an OpenACS application for voting. If one is available (running and hosted) by 18 Sep and passes testing, we'll use it. Otherwise we'll use email to a voting alias. Voting will be secret. Each voter may choose up to nine names on the ballot. Voting will be open for 48 hours, starting 25 September. (perhaps for the 48 hours that it is 25 Sep somewhere on Earth? ie from 1200 GMT 24 Sep to 1200 GMT 26 Sep?
  • How does a candidate win? The five candidates mentioned on the most ballots will win one-year seats. The four next candidates will recieve six-month seats. (This is in order to set up staggered seats - in the future, all elections will be for full terms.)
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I think all of the above sounds good, although I think voting needs to be verifiable in some way. Perhaps each person could be given a voter_id that would be created when they submitted the vote. The results would show that a particular voter_id voted, but the published results wouldn't show names, just voter_ids?

That of course would require an application to do it.