Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Why is OpenACS becoming so slow?

Collapse
Posted by Frank N. on
Rildo,

Some time ago, around Zope 2.3.x, I worked quite a bit with Zope, even deploying a few sites with it, one of which is still up. I also did a fair amount of benchmarking, and, given my recent experiences with OpenACS as well, I came to several conclusions when comparing the two:

*) If you only run a single HTTP request from ab at a time, then Zope will do nicely, and the speed will be OK for the hardware. However at least at the time when I used Zope, the HTTP server used the tried-but-inefficient One Giant Lock(TM) to achieve multithreading somewhere in its networking core. This resulted in an extremely bad scalability of the web server with dropped connections and unanswered requests as the result, plus impossibly long response times.

It would be interesting to see what results you would get if you try to run with, say, 5 simultaneous requests with a recent Zope to see if things has improved, ie. 'ab -c 5 -t 60 http://...'; or similar.

It is well known that AOLserver scales extremely well in this regard, something that is even more important than the maximum, fully serialized request speed that can be achieved. If you need to push the server due to many users of your site, then they will almost certainly not queue up their requests in a nice, orderly fashion. Just now I tried kicking my 2.5GHz/512MB P4 running FreeBSD 4.8/OpenACS HEAD. For a single, concurrent request of the main default page (excerpt):

Concurrency Level:      1
Time taken for tests:  60.126 seconds
Complete requests:      417
Failed requests:        0
Broken pipe errors:    0
Requests per second:    6.94 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:      144.19 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%    141
  98%    159
  99%    232
100%    280 (last request)

Not terribly impressive... Let's try that with 10 concurrent threads:

Concurrency Level:      10
Time taken for tests:  60.126 seconds
Complete requests:      418
Requests per second:    6.95 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:      143.84 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
  50%  1417
  98%  1805
  99%  1833
100%  4284 (last request)

Ie. at this concurrency level AOLserver/OpenACS scales linearily. OK, enough fooling around. Your site was just mentioned on slashdot + in prime time on national TV. 100 (one hundred) simultaneous requests:

Concurrency Level:      100
Time taken for tests:  60.036 seconds
Complete requests:      413
Requests per second:    6.63 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:      145.37 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
  50%  1599
  66%  1650
  75%  4584
  98%  7948
  99%  14272
100%  35882 (last request)

The server slows down a whopping 3.5%, two thirds of our visitors are still served within 1.7s and noone is left out in the cold.

How does Zope cope with 100 simultaneous requests these days? The last time I looked at the Plone tuning guide, it recommended proxying Zope behind Apache or Squid. This effectively circumvents the threading issue, as the requests are serialized from the point of view of Zope.

*) Updating the ZDB is very inefficient due to the undo buffer and the one-big-file DB organization. Try adding a hit counter to a page and hit it with a few simultaneous requests.

*) The database/users/permissioning model of Zope is basic, effectively a tree structure with inheritance. If your application calls for this very structure, like a library of articles, then Zope/Plone will do nicely.

On the other hand the database model of OpenACS is extremely complicated in comparison as it is prepared to deal with very complicated setups, like people organizing themselves in weird and wonderful ways.

Whenever Plone or OpenACS serves a page, they both have to hit the DB to check if this user may see the page. OpenACS is at an unfair disadvantage here for simple page requests, as it may have to do a comparatively more complex query for this basic task. It should be added here though, that on the tests I just ran, PG only consumed around 12-14% of the available CPU time, so this point is not the major reason for the speed difference.

It would be interesting to check how fast a Zope/Plone application with a core complexity of the scale of OpenACS is. No such application is available to the general public as far as I am aware though.

*) Plone has a policy of agressively caching bits of rendered pages in RAM. This speeds up the apparent render time quite a bit. The default pages of OpenACS doesn't do anything similar AFAIK (though the functionality to cache things in RAM is there), ie. by default every part of every page is parsed and rendered in full for every page request.

To sum up, then Zope/Plone will do nicely if whatever you want to do is compatible with the core object oriented database design, and you don't need very high concurrency at the level of the DB. Additionally it will be easy and simple to set up to boot.

But on the other hand if you will be attempting to do something non-trivial, like building a complex, database driven multi-user application and/or you really need to serve more than a trivial number of requests per second, then OpenACS is the way to go. I don't think there is anything comparable out there, and I did look. That is why I am here.

Frank.