Forum OpenACS Q&A: ETP and graphics / images...

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
I have installed ETP on dotLRN 1.0.1 so that it runs the /index page (see instructions). Everything works fine. I will run Photo-Album for images and File-Storge for other files.

I created a graphics directory in /packages/edit-this-page/www/, where I would like to put in some basic stuff like spacer.gif, logo.gif etc. How can I access it from a regular etp page though? Is this the way it is supposed to be done?

Cheers

Collapse
Posted by David Cotter on
I think you have to put your images in a publically accessible directory e.g.

/web/yourserver/www/img

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
David, there is work on a CMS that will be a successor to ETP, and will provide support for images in something easy to use like ETP.

An interum solution is to use photo-album, and then figure out what the link is for the image shown. I do this from rubick.com.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
David,

Generally you'd put the images under the generic www directory. On OpenACS 5 there is a /resources directory, but I believe you are using OpenACS 4.6.3.

To link image into an ETP page, you need to enter the HTML for the img tag. ETP doesn't have any way to attach images along with a etp page.

I have been thinking of various ways to do this. One way would be to define a template that had "holes" in it for images, and allow the user to select the number of images to fill in these spaces.

What sort of images are you trying to add to the pages? That is, what are they for? For OpenACS.org, for example, all the graphics are in the  templates that style the pages. Generally the content is just text.