Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Ideas for easier installation of OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Vic May on
Can somebody PLEASE create an easy installation the way XAMPP does it at http://www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html ---
it is like this --- download, untar/unzip, start. AGAIN -- download, unpack, start!!! It runs right from the default installation directory. No configuration needed, no hunting for missing libraries, no chasing weird errors. If they could make it work that way, I think it's possible to do the same for OPENACS. This is my second attempt to install OPENACS and I am thoroughly disgusted. I spent hours on the first try -- compiling aolserver. On the second attempt I found out that I can just simply install aolserver by using "apt-get install" in Ubuntu. One headache gone. But not so with OPENACS. I have finally managed to to put everything in place, even aolserver starts with openacs config file. But now, there is a missing libnspostgres.so library. Why would it be missing beats me. Why isn't it there by default beat me. Why there is no info on the web about it beats me. And after spending hours and hours reading and researching I give up. I loved the idea, I love that TCL is being used as the programming language but now I see why no one is using OPENACS. Of course, if somebody has done the installation hundreds of times, the installation may seem easy. But I can't afford to spend hours, days and weeks on every applicatoin that I need to install. No one can.