Forum OpenACS Development: acs-authentication related upgrading issues

Can someone repeat/point me at the current policy for upgradability of HEAD? I realise that it might break from time to time, which is natural and especially with big contributions like the new authentication code propably unavoidable.

There seems to be the intention to keep head updateable though since there are some update scripts that deal with the new authentication code in the acs-kernel package. I guess it is appreciated but not required (much appreciated by me since I'm trying to upgrade an installation that is based on HEAD from a few months ago. Yes I know this is not guaranteed to work and I'm prepared to jump through extra loops.)

Anyway, I found out that I needed to install the acs-authentication package in my old installation, manually granting admin to user 0 to /acs-admin/ in order to prevent the authentication filters from throwing errors. Also I ran all acs-kernel and acs-subsite upgrade scripts.

Right now I'm running into this error:

Query did not return any rows.
    while executing
"db_1row select_authority "
        select     [join $columns ",\n                   "]
        from       auth_authorities
        where      authorit..."
    (procedure "auth::authority::get_not_cached" line 8)
    invoked from within
"auth::authority::get_not_cached {}"

The table auth_authorities is empty. Shouldn't it contain something? Where/how is it filled?

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Yeah, it's correct, we're not supporting upgrades from HEAD to HEAD, and we haven't tackled upgrade from 4.6.3 yet (but we will, starting Monday 29th).

auth_authorities gets populated, first in packages/acs-kernel/sql/postgresql/acs-create.sql, then in the after-install callback on acs-authentication, when the necessary service contracts have been created and implementations registered.

Hope this helps.

/Lars