Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Ideas for easier installation of OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Chris Douce on
Hi Vic,
Yesterday I discovered something similar to what your last post described. For the last couple of days I've been trying to get a native Windows installation of dotLRN up and running (to make a long story short: I had no end of trouble). There was a whole bunch of tips in the fora that I found but I kept getting presented with various flavour of difficulty.

In the end I thought, 'okay, so it's going to be Linux', so I went about finding a virtual machine for my home PC. After a false start, I settled on VMware and on a hunch I Googled (I think) VMWare and dotLRN in the same query which took me to here: http://media.wu-wien.ac.at/download/vdotlrn

Installation and figuring out how to drive the download was dead easy, just as easy as installing some of the other open source environments. If this was linked to on the main install page it could have saved a couple of days of head scratching. This said, I'm happy where I've got to so far in my dotLRN adventure.

Chris

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on
I just installed VMware on Linux. Installation looks very similar to what I had for app-install. It asks a bunch of questions about where to install stuff, and then it compiles and installs, then asks more questions, etc.

But once that is installed, it is easy to startup the Oasis/Linux.vmw and login. I'm sure that on Windows all this works much faster since they seldom give you any choices there.

Overall, pretty cool way to check out stuff, but then what?

It would be interesting to hear what users do once they decide this stuff is cool. Does this provide the motivation to figure out the typical install?

Can you really do an easy native install on Windows?