Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Translation server upgraded

Collapse
Posted by Luigi Martini on
Peter, I agree that "the best way to provide context that we have come up with is the translator mode". One humble thought about it is that there are lots of pages that I cannot explore, due to my personal lack of skill, or to the fact that they are (just an example) error pages or messages, and do come out only under certain, perhaps rare, conditions.
Maybe an artificial dump of all the pages, generated with all the combinations, would be better: at the end the number of pages I have to explore should be about the same (unless I am wrong). But the good side of it is that I have a numbered list of pages, well ordered from 1 to n, and can work sequentially through the list. While at present I randomly browse the live pages, exploring here and there, returning more than once to the same page, and maybe inadvertedly skipping many (semi-)hidden pages and/or expressions.
Collapse
Posted by Matthias Melcher on
I hope the Peter's statement "the best way to provide context that we have come up with is the translator mode" is not meant to be a surrender in the struggle of finding contexts?

If the system is well designed (and I think it is) there should be some possibility to drill down the "Files that use  this message" to only .adp-files. If some other module uses a given string and transfers it via some hidden mechanism to the .adp page, this relation should be able to be put into the database.

Example: string dotlrn.user_portal_page_file_storage_title ("My Files") is found only in "dotlrn.info". In some mysterical way, it is nevertheless displayed on dotlrn-master.adp where non-programmers can see it in context. In the message catalog, there could be a pointer to some intermediate module or variable (say, navprocs.tcl or @navbar@), and there, in turn, could be pointers to other modules/variables, until eventually the final end user .adp-page turns up in the translator's dialogue.

Until this context finding problem is sufficiently solved, translators URGENTLY need help to follow these winding roads of strings. I compiled a long list of strings that are simply not understandable without their context,  http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~x28/i18n/blindflug.txt

Trying to resolve them is not possible even by using the source code. For example, acs-subsite.lt_Then_you_should_eithe leads to /web/translate/packages.old/acs-subsite/www/pvt/home.adp , but browsing the cvs to http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs-4/packages/acs-subsite/www/pvt/home.adp ,the string is not there.

(If the "packages.old" indicates that the message catalogue is not properly cleaned up, this should be immediately done.)