Forum OpenACS Development: Looking for some help

Collapse
Posted by Mat Kovach on
With the recent update of a new acs-mail-lite in contrib and the move towards 5.0, I have been looking at creating a combined acs-mail(and messaging, etc) package.  This is going to be a good deal of work.

I think this is a task left for after the 5.0 freeze and for the next development version.  I would like to look for a few people that want to help out in the matter.

I will have the 3 bugs currently assigned to me fixed this weekend and would like to starting working towards a unified mail package for the 5.1 release.

If interested, please either respond here to email me privately (mailto:mkovach@alal.com).

Mat

Collapse
2: Re: Looking for some help (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi Mat,

great that you take on that endeavour. You might want to take a look at mailing-lists in contrib. This contains a some additional procedures for sending mail in tcl/email-procs.tcl like handling multipart emails, alternative, encoding and all the other nice things that the current acs-mail-lite is missing.

The reason for writing this in a seperate package was our wish not to put too many parameters into the acs-mail-lite package as well as to have the flexibility to replace system variables in emails in a consistent way (just take a look, and you will see what I mean by that).

This should give you quite a jump start and it is already tested and working in client installation.

What would be intersting according to Timo, if you could add a switch for sending CR items to the send function. Meaning: You give it the normal parameters as always and add  a switch like "files" to it, that contains a list of CR_item_id's of items to be included in the mail.