Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Edit vs Rename vs Properties

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Werner on
Just to clarify / amplify - I think there is a general lack of  consistency in how we use jargon in the system. In addition to the 'team player' reason given above, I think a large number of terms will disappear once we create the 'common' terms in the acs-kernel and perhaps modify the keys slightly to take advantage. A lot of the terminology in the system was designed to feel colloquial/laid-back/non-stuffy which unfortunately doesn't translate well.

I'm working in Russian and Japanese to make sure I get a fairly broad perspective grammatically before making recommendations. There will always be challenging phrases - a good example in Russian is that some number of nouns change their ending based on the LAST DIGIT of the preceding number, so 1 year, 21 year, 1001 year, nnn[234] year-a, and
a new noun entirely (lyet) if the last digit is 5-9 (well 5 to zero technically). The trick in these cases is to invert word order to avoid such nuisances.

So in other words, what I hope to do is just keep good notes as I go through an entire language - maybe two, so when it's time to redo the english keys and create the common key structure in the acs-kernel, I'll actually know what I'm talking about. I'm hoping that other translators do the same so when it's time to caucus about how to fix the system we have a good dialog. I've been posting my basic thoughts (like ITEM is a vague term) in the forums because it's better than just letting it sit on a scrap of paper here.

In the meantime, I'm being careful but not fussy about what I translate. I think every one of us who takes on a language will have to go back and make all the phrasing consistent after a first pass anyway.

Collapse
8: Merging message keys (response to 7)
Posted by Anja Wicht on
(This is a bit out of context, but I didn't want to open an extra thread):

This refers to Alfred Werner's suggestion 'Four messages to merge?' in the Bugtracker: https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/bug?bug_number=973

Please be very careful about this. It might make sense - or not. You can only find this out if you know the precise context of the phrase in the UI (and comparable other phrases... e.g. Is it a heading? How are other headings structured? etc.). Simply searching for redundant messages in the listings and merging them is dangerous.
Collapse
9: Re: Merging message keys (response to 8)
Posted by Alfred Werner on
Agreed - but I'm not on dotLRN - just asking someone who does use it to make that decision for me.