Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OpenACS on Debian pros and cons...

Collapse
Posted by C. R. Oldham on

Roberto and Jeff,

Thanks for that information. Let me clarify some things.

Roberto said: HP is one vendor I know that certifies its hardware on Debian. In fact, Debian is the Linux development platform at HP

This is really good information since I consider HP right up there with Dell in terms of quality of equipment.

As far as the packages question, I think what I meant was that if I need a binary of a particular piece of software that is not in the Debian repo the chances of finding a .rpm are a *lot* higher than finding a .deb.

Jeff said: I recently installed oracle 9i on debian and it went at least as smoothly as redhat and thus far have had no problems at all with it while testing. So even for oracle I think debian would be a reasonable choice.

Maybe, but Oracle's official stance on that is that they *will not honor a support contract* if you are not on a certified platform, and Debian is not certified. I would LOVE to get Debian certified, and I think that if Oracle were to wake up they would realize that Debian is probably the most stable of the Linux distros out there. I have no idea how to go about doing that, if anyone has any ideas about who to talk to, please speak up.