Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Photo album for huge image library?

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Wouldn't it be a good idea for starters to have a page listing all packages currently using the CR, give a recommendation of good vs. bad code, and describe how and why it makes sense to use the CR in this package.

Furthermore, could the supporters write a "Why and when to use the CR" (e.g. by posting in the thread mentioned above), whereas the critics raise their points and provide suggestions on how to improve it.

The CR is a core issue that will haunt us quite some time, if not tackled correctly. We should be able to give clear guidelines when to use the CR and the OCT should come to an agreement at some point, on whether or not to make the use of the CR mandatory for inclusion in the main tree.

Furthermore, there are a lot of ideas already for extending / enhancing acs_objects. I just refer to the acs_named_objects discussion. My question would be, taking into account that there are quite a lot of packages storing content in acs_objects or their own tables, shall we put more functionality to acs_objects to make it available to these packages as well?

A lot of discussion has already happened and I'm pretty sure the old OCT has some ideas on this issue. I'd love to see the new OCT come up with a clear guideline on this and means to encourage people to follow them (and I'm talking carrots here). Randy's effort goes into the right direction, thanks.