Forum OpenACS Development: Re: How OpenACS coding could get its groove back

Collapse
Posted by Andrei Popov on
Joel,

You almost read my mind.  This is exactly the feeling I used to have when I started my acquiantence with ACS.  It was not in 1998, but it was in late 2000/early 2001 -- in the 3.x era.

It was easy to join in -- and it was a snap to put together a few useful aps guided largely by aD forums and Phil's books.

I am not a professional developer -- I am more of a tinkerer, who normally skratches only his own itch.  Since the day job has very little to do with programming -- these itches rarely applicable to others.

I'll give you a sample of my nightmares -- I wanted to make a few changes to Bugtracker.  It's a great piece of work -- I use it a lot as an issue tracker (with a few additional summary pages that are used to publish PDF reports for PHBs).  But when I looked inside -- I got simply lost.  There's so much *under* the hood.  And deeper you go -- the more there is.

This is not meant to critisize Lars' work -- like I said -- it is great, work out of the box, etc.  But is it easy to understand all calls in/out?  What is stored in bt_bugs vs. what is in cr_revisions, cr_keywords or God knows where else?  No.

I'm sure there are other examples like this -- and I agree that there are so much fewer "joyful newbie posts" on this forum (though there are also quite a few angry ones for which an "itch" is to reply "RTFM" in 1337 way).  The question is whether this is a sign of toolkit maturity?  Or just the fact that it is not coherent/finished/stil growing?