Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Importing catalog messages

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
There's a bug pending so that clicking enable will auto-load the necessary files.  However, we still have the problem that there's no visible link from the place where you change your locale (and discover that there aren't any choices by default) to the place, which is administrator-only, where you enable the locales that are already in the distribution.  One fix would be to enable all of these locales by default.  Drawbacks: slows down install, could complicate future upgrading.  What do people think?  Most software (like linux installations) seems to offer a page of language choices that you can check during install.  Should we go this way, which complicates the install process, or just enable everything we have?  I'm inclined to the latter - all the translators have done so much work, and it differentiates us from some of the competition, so why should it be hidden behind two different invisible doors?
Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
Wouldn't enabling all become more and more demanding on the resources of the machine when more message keys and more languages are added? Longer startup times etc. etc.? I'm wondering what the balance between resource consumption and the number of enabled languages is. If there is no price to pay for enabled languages then enable them all by default - if it is consuming some resources then an option upon installation would make sense (with the hint that further languages can be enabled later on).

Actually an option upon installation to select the default language for the system would be cool in any case.

Also consider that there are propably lots of users who do not intend to run their system in more than one language at all, so they don't want to bother much with issues related to multiple languages I guess.

Collapse
Posted by Claudio Pasolini on
Internationalization is really great, but OpenACS startup has already become a complex and resources hungry affair. I vote as per Tilman suggestion: keep it an option at installation time, underlining further possibilities.