Forum OpenACS Q&A: I'am stuck in the installation

Collapse
Posted by Rod Cap on
Hi, I'am just building up a server with Red Hat 7.3.
I start installing aolserver 3_3_ad13.  But I get a:  Error: pidfile: failed to open pid fil
e '/usr/local/aolserver/log/nspid.beethoven': 'Permission denied'
while i do ./bin/nsd -ft ./sample-config.tcl
Then I tried whith -u user and I send some user, but it throws the same error. Now I'll install postgres maybe that is the thing missing.

Thanks in advance for help.

Rod

Collapse
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
What are the permissions and owner of /usr/local/aolserver/log/nspid.beethoven' ?
Collapse
Posted by Mohan Pakkurti on
Hi Rod,

You probably executed aolserver once before as root (maybe), and now you are executing it again as another user. Make sure that there are no instances of aolserver running now, and then delete the file pid.beethoven. Then try to start aolserver again.

Haven't installed postgresql yet? If you are doing the installation for the first time, follow the instructions "exactly" and in sequence, you will get the installation right.

good luck.

/Mohan

Collapse
Posted by Rod Cap on
Thank for your replay. I just follow the steps indicated in the openacs install instructions. I'am doing very well, I've install Postgres and Aolserver later I'll do the openacs installation, what I dont really understand is the port or permission thing when I do this
./bin/nsd -t sample-config.tcl -u nobody -g web
It works like it says in the installation instructions. Only whith the links http://207.0.0.1:8000 , in the same machine.  But changing the port in the sample-confiv.tcl file to 80 I get some URL not found while doing
links http://127.0.0.1:80
By the way the owner of /usr/local/aolserver/log is user-root group-web.

Another thing is: I dont know if the nobody user is the best for configuring the aolserver.
OK....thnx for every thing. I'll continue with the installation openacs maybe there I'll solve my questions

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
You have to start AOLserver as root (and give it a non-root group/user combo with -u/-g) to listen on port 80.  Also make sure that no one else has grabbed port 80, i.e. Apache which is installed and started by default by many Linux distros (but if it were running you'd most likely get an Apache page ...)