Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Some Feedback From an OpenACS Newbie

Collapse
Posted by Andrew S on
I am glad to hear that you guys appreciate the feedback, and thanks for the info about some of the stuff I mentioned.

By the way, I just received my first spam as a result of registering for OpenACS, just 2 or 3 days after registering at OpenACS:

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:13:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Neophytos Demetriou <> [email address removed after post- crb]
Subject: openacs
To: (me)

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I don't know if Neophytos will be happy to hear you think he
is a spammer.
Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

So Neophytos sent you an empty email? Btw, when one member of an online community sends an email to another member, i.e. one to one communication, that isn't spam. Andrew S, you really need a little education.

Every piece of feedback that you have presented in this and other threads are all well known by everyone here, and are actively discussed over and over again. Other features are essentially unchangeable technology choices, and your opinion of them is totally irrelevant to any discussion here.

Be happy that a few of the respondents are being nice to you, you haven't done anything to deserve it. In fact you haven't done anything right since you decided to bless us with your presence a few days ago.

So let me give you a little education:

Instead of saying "I hate Tcl, I don't really see how it fits in...", maybe try: "Can anyone provide me pointers on the how all this fits together, I'm familiar with LAMP, how does this compare?" Instead of saying "I wish MySQL was an option, or the only option", maybe say "I only know about MySQL, can OpenACS run with that?"

So do you really have a question? Or just feedback?

If I hadn't spent the last six weeks looking at other CMS products and working on a very simple cms for my own use, I might think it is hard to find such products. Not. You really don't need to collect a whole laundry list of deficiencies about a choice before you move on.

Spare us all your studied opinion.