Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Custom Portlet - Strange Behavior

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
IMHO there should not be a limit because there are many requests from users to use a custom portlet as a container for static html content like course overview, list of books, link-list or even a fancy page describing the course content etc. So why should we limit the content? The admin must understand by himself that userbility should be considered. What do you think?

Two other thoughts:

1. Do you think it is possible to extend the custom portlet to accept also html with @..@ parameters to return customized content per user and class for instance?

2. If I want to create a new portlet type like custom portlet, how do I have to do that? Can you name a package that is easy to understand and a starting point for this purpose. Which other files do I have to change to make a new portlet available for all classes and communities?

Best wishes,
Nima

Collapse
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
Give it a try and just include @..@ variables. It should be interesting to see whether it works and how they are quoted.

Otherwise removing the limit: I was just guessing about the 4000 byte limit, it sounds quite reasonable though :) Can someone confirm? If it is the dreaded varchar2(4000) limit, then Nima should file an enhancement request and that can be picked up for 5.1.