Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Some Feedback From an OpenACS Newbie

Collapse
Posted by Andrew S on
Peter, thanks.  I am interested in learning more about OpenACS.  It's been obvious from the beginning that there is some good stuff going on here and that I could learn from it.  I can offer a lot to the OpenACS community in return.  Unfortunately, I am in fact discouraged from participating because I now know that whatever I write will elicit inane responses.  The people writing those responses don't seem to be thinking much about what they write, or about the fact that they are talking to real people, or that for every person that writes something there are probably hundreds that are curious about the same thing but don't ask, or that there is a distinction between being an OpenACS newbie and a computing newbie, or all sorts of other things.  No matter what, they'll just keep yammering on.  This amateurish abuse is really unpleasant to deal with and the underlying insular message will drive away more people than just myself.  On the other hand it's clear that some good has come from this discussion and that a lot of people here have been very professional.  That part of it I have enjoyed.  Anyway, I am curious about OpenACS (and I still do not understand why you guys use AolSever), but it is not worth it to me to deal with so much conflict.
Collapse
Posted by bill kellerman on
speaking solely for myself and no one else in this community...

i gave you a link to an entire free book explaining why aolserver was used.  hell, google "is aolserver a good webserver" and you can read the first result.  you don't seem to want to dig too deeply to answer your own fundamental questions, much less actually install the software to test it out or move beyond this thread that is going nowhere.

if you like the software and can use it to solve problems, stop worrying about the intense internet abuse...

that's all i have to butt in with.