Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Relationship between ACS/pg and ACS/Oracle

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Oh no! I leave the Postgres stuff to Don Baccus who's a much better hacker than I am.

It's true that the ACS could be better abstracted. It's true that the task of keeping ACS/pg up-to-date with ACS/Oracle is daunting when the number of ArsDigita developers is growing rapidly. And it's true that ACS/pg is basically the result of a handful of people borrowing the source from ArsDigita and hacking it out on our own (not counting a quick call to Philip every now and then to complain about various aspects of the ACS).

We accept that ArsDigita has better things to do with their time than help people who can't pay for Oracle licenses... if ACS/pg just ends up being a fork of ACS with the occasional merge, we're also okay with that. After all, it's not like a line-by-line port will ever be necessary. We *will* make one strong effort: to keep the data model as close as possible with that of ACS/Oracle so that it's not impossible for people to migrate one way or the other.

As for my involvement in various open-source projects....yes I admit it, I love open-source :)