Forum OpenACS Q&A: Static Comments and other insert issues

Are static page comments and links supposed to be working without problems in 3.1.0b1? The release notes say that static content should work fine, but just about every page being called in the "comments" directory is giving me an error.

Just as a test, I added a directory, threw a html file inside, and synched the file system. After clicking on the "add comment" link I got an error right away.

After taking a look at add.tcl, I found that one of the queries was attempting an outer join, and that's what was causing the error. After changing the query, add.tcl loaded without error.

Then moving on and clicking "add persistent comment" I ran into another error. This time it was due to "select comment_id_sequence.nextval from dual" instead of "select nextval('comment_id_sequence') from dual" in persistent-add.tcl

Next I typed in a short message, hit "proceed" and I think persistent-add-2.tcl worked ok...I might have had to change the format of a sequence again, though...

Then when trying to finish the last step and actually insert the comment, I had a lot of trouble. I noticed the insert was using ns_ora clob_dml $db..., and since this didn't work when I tried to post a HUGE comment on my bboard, I replaced it with ns_db dml $db... and also removed returning message into :1 at the end of the statement. Then the last thing I did to get the insert to work, was change sysdate to datetime('now'::abstime)

The insert now went through, but I received an error when the "Comment Submitted" part of the page tried to display. In this part of the script was the same query from add.tcl, that attempts an outer join...so I changed the query again, which cleared up that problem.

So that's what I've done to get the static comments to work. I still get errors if I try to update a comment, or add a link though.

Other insert problems are found when trying to...

• add an event to the calendar
  • add a comment > 4000 to the bboard.

Is no one else having these problems? Have I missed some scripts or other install files that I was supposed to run?

Thanks

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Wow, this is very surprising. Indeed, things were working, but it seems possible that the comments files were bashed in some way. I'll go through and double-check these things. If you're interested in contributing code, sign up at SourceForge and let me know!

The bboard comment limit is normal until we move to PG 7.0 with a bigger block size (no CLOBs). The calendar situation isn't. Thanks for pointing all of this out! Don't hesitate to enter bugs like this in the SDM.