Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: RedHat and OpenACS - Wake Up Call

Collapse
Posted by Mike Sisk on
More on Red Hat and their migration policy. Here's what they did for me:

In October I noticed a $ 2,000 charge on my credit card statement from Red Hat. They had automatically renewed *all* my Red Hat Network Entitlements for another year -- even those that weren't due for some months.

All this without any notification or notice. When I complained they said it was all done at once for my benefit.

Now they tell me the upgrade path when the RHN on all my production servers expire at the end of the year is a free ISO image of Enterprise WS and I'll get access to the Red Hat Network for the remainder of my entitlements, but only if I update all the servers to WS.

I guess they don't figure it'd be much of a hardship for me to take down dozens of customer sites while I upgrade....

Now, it's not like these servers won't function after offical support ends. But -- for me anyway -- the one reason I stuck with Red Hat is the ease of admining dozens of machines with RHN.

Oh, I'll be upgrading my servers at some point, but after the above it sure as hell isn't going to be a Red Hat distro...