Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Some Feedback From an OpenACS Newbie

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
1. I started the "close forum" domino with my post.

2. I am really glad we have this code now.

[I am acting as a TA in a course in Heidelberg, where forums are key, threads of this length are the rule, and being able to close threads makes sense (e.g. when a thread drifts off into a hole). This at times taxing thread provided the context to clearly communicate this need by posting it as a feature request, so I did.]

3. How this addition is used long term in THIS community is a very different question *that the way this discussion has developed answers*. We do not need to vote on this, because we all got the message: some people have an issue with closing a thread on openacs.org, so we do not close threads in the future. It is as simple as that.

4. We all know openacs.org is at times a testing ground for new little additions like this and once the dominos started... Apologies for the twisted knickers.

Talli I agree that this is not a technical issue and I do not think it is something that should be voted on. Starting now precedence and social pressure will take care of it (and I am sure the OCT got the other message too).

Carl

P.S. Closing a thread, that as you mentioned above "should die", is not in the same class as deleting messages or banning a user (both functionalities exist, but precedence rules in both cases). I repeat: You have made it clear to everyone that closing a thread in THIS/OUR community is something that SHOULD NOT happen (now that we can) and I have not heard any objections so let us leave it at that.