Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS at LinuxWorld NYC 2004

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Hi everyone,

I've reserved a booth for the OpenACS at LinuxWorld in NYC in the .ORG pavilion. The dates for the coming LW are January 21 to 23, 2004.

Our booth is #10 in the .ORG pavilion, in between a PHP CMS and some java heads. Here is the floor plan.

More as LW nears...

talli

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi Talli,

I meet the Java Heads at the LinuxWorld in Frankfurt. Object Web is providing a middleware for multiple Java Applications to work on the same framework and they have done some fairly good stuff.

And they have a working consortium, which now even has SuSE as one of it's members, so you might even see more pushing into that direction from one of the largest Linux Distributors out there.

So, it is just one of the projects out there that have a large movement and following behind them, so we should try to position ourselves clearly in the market and try to attract as many new developers and adopters as possible.

Not sure though how we'll do that without proper materials ;). After having the experience at LW in Frankfurt I thought to take the materials that we distributed there and make them more useful for OpenACS and .LRN. Furthermore, as I'm flying to to India, I could check there for a printer and the prices, so we could get materials for OpenACS printed cheaper.

Is this something the community is interested in (getting materials for OpenACS / .LRN for marketing, not company specific) ?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Yes, we talked about this at LinuxWorld in San Francisco in August and many have talked about it in the past.

It just requires someone to take a lead in doing it.

Collaboraid has put stuff together in the past and IIRC we even talked about using that as a base for some generic OpenACS brochures last April in Copenhagen.

This would be a great place for those who aren't directly involved hacking project code to step in and help out, just as Ben Koot's doing with his OpenACS demo site.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Just wanted to say, that I will take the lead at least til LW in NYC. I have already a couple of ideas, that I still need to sort out and talk through with people. Caroline and Talli already have access to the marketing materials of old S&R which I will use as a basis. Once I'm back in Hamburg I shall make a posting about this (after bug bashing I assume).
Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
The dotlrn case studies might be usefull for this. I have updated them recently but I will try to do a bit more in the coming weeks
cheers
Collapse
Posted by Eric Wolfram on
I met some of you at the SF Linix World -- but since then I've moved to NYC so I look forward to meeting others here in January. (I'm really excited about the apartment my wife and I found up here @ 91st and 3rd Avenue -- we really lucked out -- and we've been hooking it up with Ikea furniture, a new ibook and a cable modem from Time-Warner...I'm back on-line)  Let me know if you want any help at Linix World. We moved here for my wife's job and so I'm looking for things to do...
Collapse
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
Just a followup q ... OpenACS is listed as being at booth 10 in the .org pavilion - is there someone there?  I think LW NYC opened yesterday.
Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Yes, Talli checked in on #openacs earlier today. He reported that Malte just arrived too.

I'm sure that more OpenACS members will attend. Unfortenately I can't make it to NY.

/Bart