Forum OpenACS Q&A: "File not found" when trying to set up simple service

OK, this is a little embarrassing coming from the guy who has written the "How to install ACS/pg" document, but I haven't quite managed to get my initial ACS system up and running correctly. I've got AOLServer 3 beta 6.1 running (yes, I know that that is a few revs back), with the AOLserver books.ini pointing to the ACS books.ini as described in the "Concrete Guide", or at least I think so. When I go to the proper URL (yes, port 8000 on my home machine), I get:

Not Found
The requested URL was not found on this server.

I am not sure where to begin tracking this down. The ACS error messages in /web/books/www/global/ don't seem to be right for it. Previously the AOLserver started OK with the default .ini file from the distribution. I was able to connect to it and run one of the simple examples of adp/tcl stuff - the "Fun with Arithmetic" one that adds two plus two, and shows the costs of the aquarium. There is nothing appearing in the books-error.log file, either.

I'm pretty sure that this is an example of my missing something obvious - please help me figure out what it is that I am missing. Thanks!

There are a lot of unknowns here. Have you set your PageRoot correctly?  Have you set your directoryfile parameter correctly? send your .ini file
Gregory

Once you start AOLServer, can you see any nsd processes in the process list?

Nathan