Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: What is a Community in 5.0?

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
It's subsites, yes. Only the first level down. Then they're called subcommunities and show up inside their respective parent community.

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
Can't we just call it 'subsite' instead? For new users, neither community nor subsite will mean a lot, since it's one of these application specific terms (such as 'container') that only become meaningful when using the application a bit and getting a feel for it, whereas those familiar with openacs terminology are confused by the term 'community' as this thread shows.
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Please no.

Subsite has no meaning in any normal dictionary whatsoever.

I do believe that community tends to have a meaning to most people, and it surely have a meaning in a dictionary. Even ArsDigita once had a tag line along the lines of "purposeful communities".

I'm absolutely willing to subject this to a usability test, but lacking that, my impression is that community makes a hack of a lot more sense that "subsite".

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Our Headline says: "The Toolkit for Online Communities". Why should we call it subsite (which is a pure development term). So I will go with Lars there and say: please don't.