Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to New name proposal

Collapse
Posted by Lamar Owen on
Well, PACS used to be a trademark... lessee... then was known as the Telebit ACS, but I'm trying to remember the original... Paradata, I think, was the original.  They made a couple of mainframe gateway products: HoneyLAN and PACS.  HoneyLAN allowed LAN connectivity from NetWare clients to a Honeywell/Groupe Bull mainframe through synchronous modem loops -- 16 sessions over a single sync link, IIRC.

PACS was the asynchronous version, allowing 8 async lines from the one card for more standard gateways.

Paradata was bought out by Telebit, who marketed it as the Telebit ACS (and changed over to 16 port Digiboards instead of that custom board Paradata used).  Telebit, of course, was then bought out by Frantel.

However, the US PTO doesn't list PACS as being a trademark of Telebit or Frantel -- however, there ARE trademarks for PACS in the computer field.  Check the search on the USPTO site (uspto.gov).

Otherwise, it sounds fine to me.

But, then again, ACS/pg sounds fine, too.  I'm not picky (although, I really wish we could call AOLserver something different, as those three letters cause feelings of animosity amongst many open source affacionados).