Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Parent_id for folders with no parent in acs-content-repository

Hello Lars,

Yes content folder and site nodes does seem to have similar purpose.  Or if you think about it, none CR apps use site nodes and CR apps use content folder.

Me and Rob had some discussion way back then about making a site-map app.  That is able to create folders and content, also install application.  See what Rob has turned modETP to, basically the external link are applications like news.

I am thinking that I don't think its needed to change the back end code.  Maybe just the front end code.  Basically if the application is a CR app.  The site map should be able to render the sub folders.  So the way I see it is that we will have a site-map front end that is able to display both CR and none CR based app.  Right now site-map is more none CR app friendly.  May be can have "New Content" along side "New Application"?  So the new site-map will become the universal browser of the whole OACS instance.  Its able to browse and  install Content and Application packages.  Also maybe we can have a mount option on site-map than can mount a CR folder.  This is similar to what I have done with my /admin on bcms-ui-base.  I basically mount/set a folder on CR which it will use.

Also a front end application will likely not break exsiting things.  What do you think?