Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to patches vs upgrades

Collapse
Posted by james shannon on
Ok, this seems a little too simple, so I'm probably forgetting something... anybody? anybody?

We should probably have a few of the most recent releases set up in various directories(not necessarily serving, just there). In that way, we can provide patches to people who are running a slightly non-current version of openacs that may still have the bug.

After the bug has been discovered, fixed, and passes our litmus test for something that should be a patch(see below), we just run the diffs and set it up to work with the patch program(i've used this as a user, but never as a developer - shouldn't be too hard though).

We then test and announce the patch on the website and the mailing list. Hopefully it will only be a single patch, but we may have several(depending on whether the problem files were updated across versions).

Some notes: we should have a general idea of what will constitute a problem requiring a patch. As I'm writing this, I'm thinking of the sdm admin problem. Obviously little fixes will not require patches.

I'm sure I've forgotten to mention something important. Comments? anyone? anyone?