Forum OpenACS Q&A: new module (sort of)

Collapse
Posted by james shannon on
hey... i just uploaded a new "module" into the source tree. It's actually just a tcl file and an html doc file. It's called Chunks - mostly because I couldn't think of a better name. It is the same concept that I used on edulix in which one would want to add certain chunks of information to the home page, or any other page otherwise unrelated to the specified module. Much like is done on the openacs homepage with news. Anyways, the documentation should be fairly complete and code easy to understand as well... have fun... you know where to find me... -- james shannon
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
This sounds more like a utility than a module, if it's just a collection of Tcl procedures that make it easier to insert snippets of  output from certain other modules.

If so, wouldn't it make more sense if it were placed in the tcl library?

Collapse
Posted by james shannon on
yeah... utility maybe, after reading the package manager plans, I'd call it a package, but not a module.

Anyways, it pretty much is just a library file(what i meant when i said tcl file) and a doc file.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Until we see the package manager, we don't really know what it is :)

This demonstrates the need for some definitions for user contributions.  Not to mention aD contributions to ACS Classic, which have been helter-skeletered.  Just so you realize I'm not picking on you!

We do need some way of reaching agreement on what we want to include, and how to classify inclusions.  A lot of that is dependent on non-existent documentation, though, which in turn is dependent on non-existent decisions by either us or aD.

I really do hope ACS Classic 4.0 fleshes out a skeleton on which we can hang such things.