Forum OpenACS Q&A: Wimpy Project

Collapse
4: Wimpy Project (response to 1)
Posted by Carl Coryell-Martin on
I have tentatively titled it the wimpy project module which unfortunately collides in acronym space with wimpypoint (maybe wimpy manager?), but my idea was to implement the 20% of microsoft project that I really liked in a db back web fashion.

My current scheme is oriented around nested tasks. Thus for each project you can define a list of tasks that need to be done and for each task you can define subtasks. Thus you can take care of phases by making a subtask for each phase. (At some point I would like to have libraries of subtasks to speed that up.) (the parent tasks adopt the elapsed time and estimated time to completion from their child tasks.)

The lack of connect by in postgres may be a pain, but I have been doing most of the sorting bboard style (actually I stole code wholesale from the bookmarks module.)

Your todo-list and bug tracker inspired me to install the openACS so I could build on a gpl'd platform.

Dependencies is a table and a UI and it turns out that someone has already written a free tool to take a list of task and dependancies and draw gantt diagrams.

So if I can get aolserver3.0.0 to actually interpret .tcl files, I'll be golden. 😊