Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to The whole java thing, Tclblend and Webmail

Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
Brent,

Since you're such a language fiend, maybe you should consider using jpython instead of cpython, so we could have a real inter-language tower of babble :). Just think - tcl calling python, python calling java, java calling tcl... ad nauseum. Oh yeh, and you could also work guile in there somehow.

Seriously, I think it would be good to collaborate, though I think that what I intend to do initially will be much simpler than what you're trying to achieve. My main goal is to provide the same java functionality in aolserver that acs classic is getting out of oracle. To do that I need two things:

1. A means of calling arbitrary new java methods without having to do any new JNI extension work to support it.
  2. From within the java module I want the same access to the database that I get from within aolserver/tcl.

The first item, from what I've seen so far, should be obtainable by using java's reflection capabilities, and the second item should be easily obtained by wrapping the aolserver db functions.

Although, I have no intention of generating and caching pages that are written to the http connection, I don't want to make if difficult for somebody to extend it in that direction if they so desire.