Forum OpenACS Q&A: Pricing Survey for ACS + Hosting

Collapse
Posted by Bob OConnor on

NOTE: This question was also asked on web/db (photo.net)

I think that many people would love to use ACS hosted on a server connected great backbone etc. But there is this price barrier because Oracle is so expensive. There is also www.openasc.org that promotes using PostgreSQL instead of Oracle. Good.

What would you pay for hosting service?
Say you want to set up ACS system, start small (with little money) but grow and of course you have expectations that you get big big big which is why you want ACS! for your community.

Ta da!!!
There is a new survey tool released on Monday by Ken Evoy and company to help determine the optimum price. You can check it out: Make your Price Sell It is a really simple survey tool that you construct online and have your customers or potential customers answer the brief questionaire.

So, lets design a survey right here and get some answers.
"The answers are out there!"

I will make the results public and will show various providers what is a "perfect price". This is good for them because they will then know what most people will pay and know how profitable it could be. Users will benefit because it is what a majority would willingly pay.

The survey consists of 6 special questions. What I need to construct the questionaire is a clear opening paragraph defining what the host service is.

Sample1: The host provides a _____ server with ACS+AOLserver+PostGreSQL connected to a fast ____ backbone and includes basic ____ support.

Sample2: Same as #1 but with Oracle instead of PostGreSQL.

Please help me fill in the blanks for common current hosting.

Surveys can be distributed to this list (A Link will be in a later message on this thread) and elsewhere Where?_____. Numbers are best if we get 200 to 400 responses.

Thanks for your help.
-Bob OConnor

Collapse
Posted by Bob OConnor on

Woops, I see that I forgot the HTTP in the now corrected: Make Your Price Sell link. I don't see a way to go back and edit my previous posts. Is it Possible?

Collapse
Posted by Bob OConnor on

Woops, I see that I forgot the HTTP in the now corrected: Make Your Price Sell link. That is (for email recipients): http://myps.sitesell.com/saleindex.html
I guess I'll forget the fancy schmancy HTML in the future!.

I don't see a way to go back and edit my previous posts. Is it Possible?

Collapse
Posted by John-Mason Shackelford on
This is a cross reference to relevent discussion elsewhere on the OpenACS site.