Forum OpenACS Q&A: Getting strange error when i tried to upload my portrait

Hi,

I am new to OpenACS. Just installed OpenACS 4.6 + Oracle 8.1.7 + AOLServer 3.3.1+ad13

When i tried to upload my photo, I got the following errors. Could you give me any idea of what I am doing wrong?

Sunghun

------------------------------
Request Error
ora8.c:3568:ora_tcl_command: error in `OCIStmtExecute ()': ORA-29540: class com/arsdigita/content/Util does not exist
ORA-06512: at "BANGAP.STRING_TO_BLOB", line 0
ORA-06512: at "BANGAP.CONTENT_REVISION", line 91
ORA-06512: at line 4

SQL:

begin
          :1 := content_revision.new(
            title => :title,
            description => :portrait_comment,
            text => 'not_important',
            mime_type => :guessed_file_type,
            item_id => :item_id,
            creation_user => :user_id,

The openacs package acs-content-repository uses some java utility procs when running on oracle. It should have called the file packages/acs-content-repository/java/Util-oracle.sqlj upon installation of openacs. Maybe that failed because java is not set up correctly on your oracle installation - I think there are some options regarding java support that should not be unchecked or something like that (haven't looked into the installation guide for some time).
Check for the 'LANG' environment variable for the user  of the server process. If it is set to en_US(or something similar) it screws up installation. I had to reinstall the whole thing as there were too many strings attached to get the packages working with the existing installation or to patch things up. If you find a better solution you are welcome to post 😉