Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to ACS Apache desirability vs. OpenACS/AOLServer combo?

Like Roberto, I too started with Apache.  Then a friend told me about aD and so I started to surf their site.  I found this little webserver called AOLServer, and my first thought was "It's AOL how good could it be?".  Then I started reading Phil's book and talking with some other webmasters I know and I found out that AOLServer was pretty damn good!  So I decided to download it and give it a try.

Well, installing and running AOLServer was easy, but I don't think it was any easier than Apache.  Anyway, I spent a good three days trying to get ACS to run.  I'm not an Oracle expert and I didn't want to spend 10K on their database so I decided to give ACS/pg a try before I gave up on ACS.  It took me two hours to setup and configure this distribution of ACS thanks to the great documentation here at openacs.org .  So far I love it.  It seems quick.  I am testing it on a dual celeron linux box with 256M ram.  I don't have any concrete numbers, but it feels fast.

I can tell you this.  I am going to decommission my Apache server and start using AOLServer with ACS/pg!  The only downside is that the look of ACS is boring.  I wish there was some easy way to make it look nicer. =)  But its out-of-box features are great!

Gilbert