Forum OpenACS Q&A: Can't edit page in ETP

Collapse
Posted by Staffan Hansson on
I was going to update the Curriculum Sequencing Model page here on openacs.org with Stan's graphic representation of this model, but I was unable to...

When I had edited the page and submitted it I got this error:

We had some problems processing your entry:

* You must supply a value for name
    * You must supply a value for attribute

Please back up using your browser, correct them, and resubmit your entry.
I tried on Internet Explorer as well as on Mozilla Firebird with the same poor result.

Does anyone recognize this problem?

Collapse
2: Re: Can't edit page in ETP (response to 1)
Posted by Windell Dubois on
could you send some more info on your problem??  Ive been playing aroudn with ETP, and may be able to help, but a little more detail would help out greatly.

Windell.

Collapse
3: Re: Can't edit page in ETP (response to 1)
Well Windell, it's just a case of normal use of ETP: I click on the "Edit this page" link at the bottom right of the page, and then click on the link to edit the content attribute. When I add
img src="/storage/download/sequencing.jpg?version_id=146982" width="1067" height="1436" border="0" [within tags]
(plus a paragraph of text) and submit the page I get the error described above.

It seems that it is the image (150 Kb) that causes the trouble, because when I follow the same procedure, but without actually editing the content or just adding a piece of text, I can submit the page.

Thanks!

Collapse
4: Re: Can't edit page in ETP (response to 3)
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
This sounds like the POST method failing and the server not receiving the data it expects. You could check out this thread:

https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=25657

However, this link refers to an IE bug not to something that would also happen in Mozilla. You could try Netscape 7.1 to see if that works ok.

Regards
Richard

Collapse
5: Re: Can't edit page in ETP (response to 1)
Yeah Richard, this does resemble a case of the POST traumatic stress syndrome reported by Jerry Asher way back. Especially since it seems that the size (of the form content) might matter. I wonder what became of the two-year-old plans to find a remedy for that sickness.

But, like you say, that was an IE-related bug while this seems to be a browser-unspecific bug - I couldn't post the form with any browser.  I tried editing the page with Netscape 7.1, but got the same error. Following David Walker's advice, I also disabled "Show friendly HTTP error messages" in IE, to no avail.

Thanks!

Collapse
6: Re: Can't edit page in ETP (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Wow,

That is really weird.

Seems like a bug in the parsing of the content of the POST. I wonder if it exceeded a limit of the textarea. That is a definite limitation of editing long documents in a browser.

On openacs.org you should be able to upload a new revision of a document. Apparently I did not add the feature to upload content for an index. page so that won't work in this case. Normally I think that item should have a page and not a subtopic.

Collapse
7: Re: Can't edit page in ETP (response to 1)
Thanks Dave! I deleted the old subtopic item and successfully uploaded a page with the image included instead. (That feature didn't exist when I first published the text, and at that time a subtopic seemed to me like a page with the additional option of adding descriptive links - so why be tied to the mast, so to speak.)

The description attribute for the page isn't displayed at the right place, though. I expected it to be displayed after the Curriculum Sequencing Model link on the parent (index) page, but now it appears in bold letters at the top of the content page (in a new revision, which I don't want to commit as the live revision).

This is not intended behavior, is it?

Collapse
8: Re: Can't edit page in ETP (response to 1)
In case it was unclear, I'm missing a link description on this page.
Collapse
I'm not missing it anymore... According to the revision history, Dave published the second revision of the item - and somehow everything is now displayed in its proper place. I'm confused...
Collapse
9: Re: Can't edit page in ETP (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Staffan,

I removed the description from the content template, and commited your changes. The description is part of a revision, so it won't go live until you commit the changes.

It should be fine now.

Collapse
OK, now I get it. Thanks a lot Dave!